Nebraska football head coach Scott Frost led off his Friday morning press conference by announcing that sophomore offensive lineman Trent Hixson has been placed on scholarship.
“I kind of thought Trent might be the first guy, but he’s really the first one I hope in a long line of walk-ons while I’m here that comes in, goes to work, and becomes a guy that will play or start for us,” Frost said.
The 6-foot-4, 310 pound Omaha Skutt grad will be the likely starter at left guard, Frost said last week.
In other news and notes:
- Frost said that Friday morning marked the final day of fall camp. They got a little bit into game prep towards the end of the week but have not yet fully shifted their focus to South Alabama.
- Captains will be voted on Friday morning. Frost said that due to the lack of seniors on offense, there is a possibility that all four of the captains won’t be seniors like they have been in years past.
- Frost said that possibly starting next year, there could be a home/away version of the Blackshirt alternates that were unveiled earlier this week.
- Sophomore defensive lineman Chris Walker will be out for a month with an injury
- The initial depth chart will be released on either Sunday or Monday, Frost said. He urged media and fans “not to read too much into it” as some of the injured players won’t be placed ahead of healthy players.
- Redshirt freshman center Cam Jurgens is “full speed” now after being sidelined with an injury for nearly all of fall camp. Another redshirt freshman, Will Farniok, was taking the first team reps in his place.
(Photo – Kenny Larabee)